After three full days of rain, today is absolutely gorgeous, with what's left of last night's quick snowstorm melting away. The sky is as blue as it's ever been and the bare trees cast long shadows across the street. I'm sitting comfortably on my bed, the light shining on my hardwood floor, and the blanket I'm crocheting is sitting on my lap, keeping me warm.
Lately, I've been consumed with photography and all things business. I haven't stopped thinking about weddings and how I can prepare myself for them. It's been exhausting and I definitely needed a break. That's why today I had planned to go somewhere with my mom. When that didn't happen and plans changed, I didn't know what to do. So I made a little list of things I can do when I'm bored. Hopefully this will help some of you out who are in a winter slump.
- Go on a bike ride. It doesn't have to be grueling or long; just ride around your neighborhood.
- Explore a new coffee shop. A friend told me about a place called the Mudhouse in Crozet and now I am dying to spend a few hours there, reading and reflecting.
- I know it's not one that sparks much creativity, but watch Netflix or catch up on a recent show.
- Walk your dog. I've taken my dog on a few walks lately, just he and I, and it's been surprisingly fun. If it's cold, just put on a hat and gloves. It makes all the difference.
- If you're a photographer, take pictures. It can easily become a chore if you do it too much but if you get a great shot, it's really rewarding.
- Listen to music while getting on Pinterest or Tumblr.
- Crochet or knit something! Like I said, I'm making a blanket and it has occupied my free time and helped me to look forward to when it's done.
- Drive somewhere. I used to hate driving alone and I used to hate going places alone but now, getting in the car, going somewhere new, and parking the car to walk or take pictures is one of my favorite activities.
- Read. Find a good book, cuddle up in the corner of your room, and read. Get some tea or coffee if that will motivate those who aren't huge fans of reading.
- Go shopping. You don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe. Sometimes I think when I go shopping I have to buy everything I like but just go knowing you're only going to get a couple things you really like. That seems to stress me and my bank account out less.
- Cook or bake something! I made cream puffs yesterday and it was so much fun, especially since I got to eat them.
- Go to the theater and watch a movie. This is something you could do alone or with a friend. I considered going to see Zero Dark Thirty today alone and I still might.
- Write in your journal. I've been doing a lot of this lately. I write about my day and what's on my mind and usually I feel a lot better afterwards.
Hopefully that strikes an idea in those of you who need something to do but if not, I'd love to hear about how you occupy your time!