Friday, August 6, 2010


I actually am incredibly blessed, whether I show my appreciation or not.

Yesterday I had foot surgery at Martha Jefferson. I had an operation on each foot and I won't go into the details of that, but I will explain the rest. 

This surgery was outpatient surgery so I did get to go home after it was done but I'm not gonna lie and say that it has been fun.

Before I went in, I was mostly scared about the IV. Haha. Laugh all you want. I think it's kind of funny too. I was still scared though. I am not a huge fan of being poked with needles. But as I sat in the chair listening to the nurse explain some stuff, I realized that it could be a million times worse. And my fear sort of evaporated. So a few minutes later, the nurse poked me with a needle and starting putting fluid in me. I honestly didn't feel any of it. I didn't even know when the needle went in. Yay! Haha. I was really relieved about that.

So after that was done, I just had to worry about the surgery itself. I don't like the thought of people doing stuff to me when I'm not awake. Haha. Reasons why I don't sleep at school or go to sleep first at a sleepover. =). Hehe. But it didn't take long for me to realize that this too, could be worse. I stopped worrying.

They took me into the OR and I immediately looked around and probably made a regretful face. Haha. It was creeeeeepy. I've never had surgery before and I don't know why I thought it would look different than in Grey's Anatomy, but I did. Haha. Honestly, I expected it to be a cute little room with windows and a reclining chair that I would lay back in. Well, I was wrong. Haha. 

They put me on a table and strapped my arms down to the sides. No joke. It wasn't cool. The anesthesiologist then told me that he would be connecting the IV with the fluids that would make me fall asleep. He said it would burn a little and that's all I remember. I was GONE. And the weirdest part is that I don't remember even closing my eyes. That scares me. Haha. 

But it was over before I knew it and I was back in a normal room with some Coke and animal crackers. =D. Apparently the nurse asked me what I wanted to eat and drink and I answered, "Coke and animal crackers." Well, I don't remember that. But then again, I don't remember getting in a wheel chair and being pushed out to the car either. HAHA. Something might be wrong with me. I think I was supposed to be fully conscious. But it's whatever. I don't really care. It just bothers me that I can't remember. Anything. 

I got home around six last night and I felt pretty darn good. My feet didn't hurt too bad and I was excited that I should be able to do normal stuff again really soon. Unfortunately, my feet started throbbing last night and I had to hobble into the kitchen to get some Benedryl so I could sleep. It helped. Eventually. But last night wasn't fun. And before I got my prescription filled, today wasn't too fun either. Not being able to do normal things like shower and eat breakfast is so annoying.

But all of this really made me realize how blessed I am. I have a healthy body (or I will soon), incredible friends, a family that cares, and so much more. It's so much harder to praise God when things aren't going your way. But I think that's what trials teach you. Even though this isn't really a trial, it's not awesome either. So I'm just blessed and thankful tonight for so many things. I can't wait to see my friends. And sorry to the ones who wanted to see me today. I just wasn't feeling it. Soon though! =). I love you guys. And thanks for all your texts.

The picture below is of a rainbow. Obviously. I love rainbows. They're my thing. They symbolize a promise. And whenever I don't have the best day, I try to remember that promise. If you want to read more about that story, go here

P.S. Please forgive me for this insanely long post. I hate long posts but I felt the need to tell this story. And it helped. I feel better. =).

No comments:

Post a Comment